
A friend of mine recently overheard something about the Free Tibet protest here in Bangalore. My friend, a close one, blanky thinks out aloud,"whats the point in holding a protest in India!"
I felt rage rush through my very core. It surged up in me like the god forbidden tides that the moon threatens us with as it comes closer (pls stay posted on that).
"whats the point in holding a protest in India!"
The words rang in my head for what seemed like eternity and then I calmed down to try and explain in brief..."the point"...
Why should we take in refugees (O wait, we don't take them, usually they have to bribe their way in)...
Why protest in India?? When I suggested that we could add to some international pressure...my friend mocked me - India & political pressure, ya sure!
When I heard that, it kinda made sense, do you think... Seriously, how many times have you seen putting "international pressure" on anyone...While large areas of our land gets swallowed bit by bit in the lovely Arunachal, we try and well, look at other issues..
so, lets just rule out international pressure.
But, is it always about how much you can DO? Where else can Tibetians voice out their opinions so easily?? so freely?? Where else do they get a platform where they know for sure that atleast some of are listening to them?
Yes I know, listening is NOT going to make any changes, but hell, turning away and walking in the other direction...that is just making the whole scene worse!! How many people actually know about the daily grind that life has become for many behind bars? The whole reason for protests like this is to generate awareness, for some support, some sympathy, some empathy...to know that there is someone listening to you, even if the person can't ease your pain much, is a real blessing.
On a similar note, about empathy, I have more to vent out...but alas, my charge is running out & its a power cut ;)
Just keeping it short - this is about Kashmir. my Kashmir.
No, I am not a Kashmiri (neither am I Tibetian-just to keep the records straight). Having spent a better part of life in Kashmir, I feel very strongly for the place. Reasons vary over time, some fade away, others grow stronger - that doesn't matter. I don't want the people to suffer at the hands of imbeciles - whether it be zealots, fanatics or wooden heads. But...it isn't easy to let go of MY Kashmir either..it is a part of me...
The confusion here? In a way, my being there was a part of the problem.
My army background has landed me in an identity crisis..its been some time now, but it just seems to be getting worse now. They say, you say, it is the army that is ripping the place apart..both in the magnificent Kashmir and the endearing North East..They say, you say, if not for the army, the place would have been ripped apart ages back. But what do I say when I am the people, and I am the army?
I have seen enough...I have heard enough....
when you throw a stone at me, I might take cover or I might throw a bigger stone at you - but by the end of the day, both you and me are looking for our identities...for freedom...
When a part of me says "let Kashmir be free", a voice says..."then I'll lose my Kashmir". When I jump with joy, a part of me writhes in pain..if the me in me won, that means the other me in me lost..
No comments:
Post a Comment